Even though the title of this recipe is summer, our family eats it all year long. When fresh out-of-the-garden tomatoes are unavailable, I use petite diced canned tomatoes. Consider serving with Cornmeal Cornbread for a gluten-free dinner!
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups juicy, chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned)
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped white or portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium pot.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Saute over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add more liquid if needed.
- Serve over rice if desired.
- May garnish with cheddar cheese, guacamole, or fresh cilantro.