Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
Oatmeal has many qualities that lend itself to be deemed a healthy food. Unfortunately, most of us tend to add so many unhealthy ingredients, it's no longer considered healthy. In this version, there is no added sugar. The bananas and blueberries add enough sweetness for my taste, but if you have a sweet tooth, you may need to add a sweetener. If this is the case, add 1/4 cup of maple syrup into the wet ingredients. Don't be surprised when it disappears so quickly. I double the recipe and heat up the leftovers the next morning. You can also add it to your smoothie for some added goodness!
BLUEBERRY BANANA BAKED OATMEAL
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cups rolled old fashioned oatmeal
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Lay the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle ½ cup of the blueberries over bananas.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, baking power, and salt. Stir and sprinkle over fruit.
- Whisk milk, egg, oil, (maple syrup, if using) and vanilla. Pour over oats, coating evenly. Sprinkle remaining blueberries and walnuts over top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and bubbly and set in the center.
Adapted from alaskafromscratch.com