Falafel with Avocado Hummus
This recipe is a family favorite and so easy to prepare. Everything gets dumped into a food processor, mixed together, and pan fried to make a delicious meal. The patties can be served on a bun with lettuce, onion, and tomato as it holds together well if not made too thick. Serve with the avocado hummus for a nice flavor, plus adding the health benefits of good fat! I'm a sucker for anything with sun dried tomatoes and why I think I love it so much! I hope your family will enjoy it too. Consider serving with sweet potato fries and fresh cut veggies to dip into the hummus!
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- ½ cup packed fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup garbanzo or other flour
- olive oil
- ¼ cup chickpeas, reserved from falafel
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/3 cup packed fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
Directions for Falafel:
- Reserve ¼ cup chickpeas for the Avocado Hummus. Place remaining chickpeas, onions, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, cumin, coriander, salt and flour in a food processor and pulse until combined, stopping frequently to scrape down sides.
- Using the palms of your hand, form mixture into 2-inch by ½ inch patties.
- In a non-stick skillet, add just enough olive oil keep falafel from sticking, about 1 TBS. Fry patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
Combine ¼ cup chickpeas, avocado, parsley, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and cayenne in food processor in puree. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve on falafel on a bun with tomato and sliced onion. Top with avocado hummus.
Adapted from Chloe's Kitchen