Vegetable and Farro Salad
Featuring roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, and marinated radishs and scallions. This Mexican-inspired farro salad is full of flavor. Bits of cara cara orange and lime juice bring flavor, while the avocado and cheese add brightness. The crunchy oven-toasted tortilla strips finish off this salad with just the right amount of crunch. Enjoy!
Vegetable Farro Salad
- 3/4 cup semi-pearled farro
- 1 lime, quartered
- 4 radishes
- 1 Cara Cara orange, peeled with white pith discarded and medium diced
- 4 scallions, green and white parts sliced
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and small diced
- 1/2 lb. broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1 oz. Queso Fresco or another white cheese to your liking
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the radishes, onions, maple syrup, and the juice of 1 lime quarter. Set aside, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling on high and add farro, cook, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat, drain thoroughly and return to pot. Stir in 1 lime wedge and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to keep warm.
- While farro is cooking, place sweet potatoes, jalapeno pepper, and broccoli on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in preheated oven about 20-25 minutes, until tender with a fork. (NOTE: Turn off oven, but roasting pan will be used to bake tortilla strips.) Remove from oven and transfer to the pot of cooked farro.
- Stack the tortillas; cut in half, then thinly slice into strips. Place strips on the same sheet pan as the roasted vegetables in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the warm oven. Even though the oven is off, the tortillas will bake and not as likely to burn. Leave in the oven 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Peel, pit and large dice the avocado. Place in a bowl and top with 1 lime wedge to prevent browning.
- To the pot of farro and roasted vegetables, add the orange and marinaged radishes and onions, including the marinate. Stir to combine and season as desired.
- Divide the salad between 2 dishes and top with avocado, cheese and toasted tortilla strips.
Adapted from Blue Apron